At sundown, their true form is revealed. They pull apart and sever their own bodies to take flight for the night. They feast on blood and flesh. Women who are pregnant or have small children are particularly favored prey, but these creatures are far from exclusive in their tastes. Spherewalkers must take special care if these creatures are nearby.
When the Manananggal splits her body apart at nightfall, her upper body breaks free at the waist, sprouting bat-like wings and horrible fangs, dangling numerous dripping entrails below her. She grows a fearsome long proboscis-like tongue which can be used for drinking blood and scooping out tender bits of flesh. The Manananggal needs no permission to enter a dwelling; she goes where she will. Until sunrise, when she must rejoin her lower half.
As noted above, Spherewalkers are at great risk from the Manananaggal. Their blood is particularly tasty, and consuming it allows the Manananggal to spherewalk, which it cannot otherwise do. This is how the creatures have spread from world-to-world.
Everway has been good for the Manananggal. A large city - really two cities sitting side-by-side. A city where women have relative equality and a great deal of social power through the kinship system. A perfect place to blend in, and perhaps impersonate. A place that is set in its ways, yet very tolerant of and complacent about outsiders and their strange ways. While a few Crows and Watchers suspect that something is amiss, most others in the city are entirely unaware of the Manananggal's presence.
- Fire 3, Earth 3, Air 3, Water 1
- 2 Point Power: Impersonation (Major, Frequent) - From sunrise until sundown, the Manananggal can impersonate one female individual that she has studied.
- Upper Body: Fire 5, Earth 5, Air 2, Water 1
- Power: Fly
- Must drain one point of Earth per night in blood/flesh, or her own Earth score will go down by one point per night.
- Every Earth point of blood/flesh drained from a Spherewalker gives the Manananggal the ability to Spherewalk between two gates.
- Lower Body: Fire 1, Earth 2, Air 1, Water 1